For my level I needed to add hidden functionality in my game
in the form of intractable objects much like hearthstones environments in which
there is multiple things to press in the background this helps with the HCI
since it gives the player things to do in the menu and allows increased
feedback.
To begin with my hidden functionality I used and object I made
for one of my previous units which was a spit with a piece of meat on it this
is in my level next to a campfire so I decided this would be a good place for
my character select screen so I placed my character in with a simple animation
on him so he wasn’t a static still mesh, from here I added an animation in the
level in the form of a matinee using the meat on the spit and I made it spin
from here created a click event so when the meat is pressed it plays the matinee
in my level.
I looked at this and thought I can’t only do this it isn’t good
enough and I came up with the idea to place glass bottle around my level and
use a radial impulse to fire them off things, so I modeled a bottle and then
imported and placed them around my level in unique places to look for while in
the menu. I realized that I could take
this to another level by disabling this until the player finds a gun in the
level which I hid in the options menu from here it allows the radial impulse to
be fired off so it gives the player the impression of equipping a gun in the
menu without actually doing it.
Character customization
Another thing which was optional but would have been good
was a character customization screen, this was a part of tutorial again but one
in which I decided not to add once I finished it, I did this because with my
menu being 3D and minimalist it seemed to take over the screen whatever I did
with it since the rest of my menu was subtly placed and I just didn’t believed
it fit the aesthetic I was going for and seemed messy I decided to leave this
from my menu, but I still have the knowledge for when I want to add this to
another menu in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment