Thursday, 25 May 2017

Main Menu

Usually this would be the part where I would go into Photoshop and start designing my buttons but since my design decision was to try making my menu without the use of widgets or with as little as possible I had to go into Maya to create my buttons. While in Maya I used the text tool; which allows you to create custom 3d text with bevels and whole other array of customization options once I played with this tool for a while and knew how to create my text I went searching for my font I wanted to use and I decided to go with the one in the example below.

From here it was simply importing the meshes of the texts I would use for my menu into Unreal, something which I’ve done dozens of times. Once this was done I placed a camera in my world where I wanted the main menu to be placed, I chose a high up view of my level to give an over view of the playable area. This gave me a very nice backdrop for my menu to make the aesthetic really pop.


I created the effect of hovering over my buttons and then transitioning by adding in 2 of the same word mesh but one with a emissive glow on and when i used the level blueprint to switch the visibility between these 2 when the mouse hovers over this gives the impression of something which can be easily done in widgets but this was a work around I came up with to fit my 3D menu.



No comments:

Post a Comment